Robert J. Kremer, Ph.D.
Environmental Soil Microbiology
Research Microbiologist (Retired)
USDA-ARS, Cropping Systems & Water Quality Research Unit, Columbia, MO
- Phone: 573-882-6408
- E-mail: KremerR@missouri.edu
- Address: 302 Anheuser-Busch Natural Resources Building
- B.S. 1972, University of Missouri, Agronomy
- M.S. 1974, University of Missouri, Agronomy (Soil Science)
- Ph.D. 1981, Mississippi State University
- Soil and plant microbial ecology.
- Soil quality (health) and sustainable agricultural systems.
- Soil environmental impacts of transgenic crops.
- Primary research area is the relationship among soil properties, plant growth, and soil microorganisms as influenced by crop and soil management practices. Management under sustainable (agroforestry, cover cropping, inter-cropping, organic), conventional agriculture (including genetically-modified crops), and grassland restoration systems is assessed for effects on soil quality using microbial, chemical, and physical parameters as indicators. Impacts of xenobiotics (pesticides, antibiotics) on soil biology and soil health are evaluated and management for reducing detrimental effects are developed. Soil microbial properties with beneficial and detrimental effects on plant growth, including weed and pathogen biological control potential are examined.
- Environmental Soil Microbiology
- Advanced Weed Science (co-instruct)
- Advanced Sustainable Agriculture (co-instruct)
- Nordenholt, R.M., K.W. Goyne, R.J. Kremer, C-H Lin, R.N. Lerch, and K.S. Veum. 2016. Effect of veterinary antibiotics on atrazine degradation and soil microorganisms. J. Environ. Qual. 45:565-575.
- Veum, K.S., R.J. Kremer, D.E. Stott, K.A. Sudduth, N.R. Kitchen, R.N. Lerch, C. Baffaut, D.L. Karlen, and E.J. Sadler. 2015. Conservation effects on soil quality indicators in the Missouri Salt River Basin. J. Soil Water Conservat. 70:232-246.
- Lerch, R.N., C. Baffaut, E.J. Sadler, and R.J. Kremer. 2015. Long-term agro-ecosystem research in the Central Mississippi River Basin: Goodwater Creek Experimental Watershed and regional herbicide water quality data. J. Environ. Qual. 44:28-36.
- Karlen, D.L., D.E. Stott, C.A. Cambardella, R.J. Kremer, K.W. King, and G.W. McCarty. 2014. Surface soil quality in five Midwestern cropland Conservation Effects Assessment Project watersheds. J. Soil Water Conservat. 69:393-401.
- Kremer, R.J. 2014. Environmental implications of herbicide-resistant weeds: soil biology and ecology. Weed Sci. 62:415-426.
- Kremer, R.J., and C.L. Deichman. 2014. Soil quality and the solar corridor cropping system. Agron. J. 106:1853-1858.
- Banks, M.L., A.C. Kennedy, R.J. Kremer, and F. Eivazi. 2014. Soil microbial community response to soil texture, surfactants and herbicides. Appl. Soil Ecol. 74:12-20.
- Veum, K.S., K.W. Goyne, R.J. Kremer, R.J. Miles, and K.A. Sudduth. 2014. Biological indicators of soil quality and soil organic matter characteristics in an agricultural management continuum. Biogeochemistry 117:81-99.
- Unger, I.M., A.C. Kennedy, K.S. Goyne, R.J. Kremer, J.E.T. Mclain, and C.F. Williams. 2013. The effects of veterinary antibiotics on soil microbial community characteristics in vegetative filter strips and cropland soils. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 77:100-112.
- Kremer, R.J., and L.F. Hezel. 2013. Soil quality improvement under an ecologically based farming system in Northwest Missouri. Renew. Agric. Food Syst. 28:245-254.
- Kremer, R.J., and T. Souissi. 2013. Phytotoxicity assessment for potential biological control of leafy spurge by soilborne microorganisms. Australasian Plant Pathology 42:441-447.
- Veum, K.S, K.W. Goyne, R.J. Kremer, and P.P. Motavalli. 2012. Water-stable aggregates and soil organic matter fractions under agricultural and conservation management practices. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 76:2143-2153.
- Lin, C.-H., R.N. Lerch, R.J. Kremer, and H.E. Garrett. 2011. Stimulated rhizodegradation of atrazine by selected plant species. J. Environ. Qual. 40:1113-1121.
- Kremer, R.J., and R.D. Kussman. 2011. Soil quality in a pecan - kura clover alley cropping system in the Midwestern USA. Agroforest. Syst. 83:213-223.
- Zobiole, L.H., R.J. Kremer, R.S. Oliveira, and J. Constantin. 2010. Glyphosate affects microorganisms in rhizospheres of glyphosate-resistant soybeans. J. Appl. Microbiol. 110:118-127.
- Kremer, R.J., and N.E. Means. 2009. Glyphosate and glyphosate-resistant crop interactions with soil and rhizosphere microorganisms. European J. Agron. 31:153-161.