Meet the Soil, Environmental and Atmospheric Sciences Faculty
Keith W. Goyne, Ph.D.
Office of Academic Programs, School of Natural Resources
Environmental Soil Chemistry
- Phone: 573-882-0090
- E-mail: GoyneK@missouri.edu
- Address: 302 Anheuser-Busch Natural Resources Building
- B.S. 1994, The Pennsylvania State University, Soil Science Conferred with Distinction
- M.S. 1998, The Pennsylvania State University, Soil Science (Environmental Soil Chemistry)
- Ph.D. 2003, The Pennsylvania State University, Soil Science (Environmental Soil Chemistry)
- Postdoctoral Fellow 2003 - 2005, University of Arizona, Environmental Chemistry
- Goyne's research interests revolve around soil chemical and biogeochemical investigations aimed at understanding natural and human influenced terrestrial ecosystem processes.
- Specific examples include:
- Studies aimed at understanding the effects of forest management and agronomic practices on soil nutrient and carbon cycling.
- Elucidating mechanisms of natural and xenobiotic organic compound sorption to minerals, the importance of dissolved organic matter (DOM) for enhanced sorption or transport of xenobiotics, and subsequent dissolution processes that may occur after organic compound adsorption (i.e., ligand promoted dissolution).
- Understanding the fate and transport of pharmaceuticals and personal care products in soils and subsequent effects on soil microbial communities.
- Investigations focusing on the importance of intraparticle and interparticle porosity for sorption and preservation of natural DOM and the utility of porous materials for pollutant remediation efforts.
- Environmental Science 1100, Introduction to Environmental Science
- Environmental Science 3500, Pollutant Fate and Transport
- Environmental Science, Soil Science, and Geology 4318/7318, Environmental Soil Chemistry
- Environmental Science and Soil Science 9418, Advanced Environmental Soil Chemistry
- Atmospheric Science and Soil Science 9087, SEAS Seminar
- Environmental Science and Soil Science 8500, Chemistry of the Vadose Zone
- Veum, K.S., K.W. Goyne, R. J. Kremer, R. Miles, and K. Sudduth. In Press.
Biological indicators of soil quality and soil organic matter characteristics in an agricultural management continuum. Biogeochem. (Invited manuscript)
- Chu, B., S.H. Anderson, K.W. Goyne, C.H. Lin, and R.N. Lerch. In Press.
Sulfamethazine transport in agroforestry and cropland soils. Vadose Zone J.
- Chu, B., K.W. Goyne, S.H. Anderson, C.H. Lin, and R.N. Lerch. 2013.
Sulfamethazine sorption to soil: Vegetative management, pH, and dissolved organic matter effects. J. Environ. Qual. 42:794-805.
- Unger, I.M., K.W. Goyne, A.C. Kennedy, and R. J. Kremer, J.E.T. McLain, and C.F. Williams. 2013.
Antibiotic effects on microbial community characteristics in soils under conservation management practices. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 77:100-112.
- Unger, I.M., K.W. Goyne, R.J. Kremer, and A.C. Kennedy. 2013.
Microbial community diversity in agroforestry and grass vegetative filter strips. Agroforest. Syst. 87:395-402.
- Du, C., J. Zhou, and K.W. Goyne. 2012.
Organic and inorganic carbon in paddy soils as evaluated by mid-infrared photoacoustic spectroscopy. PLoS ONE 7(8): e43368. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0043368.
- Thompson, A., and K.W. Goyne. 2012.
Controls on the sorption of chemical constituents in soils. Nature Education Knowledge. 3(10): 7.
- Veum, K.S., K.W. Goyne, R.J. Kremer, and P.P. Motavalli. 2012.
Relationships among water stable aggregates and organic matter fractions under conservation management. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 76: 2143-2153.
- Lin, C.-H., R.N. Lerch, K.W. Goyne, and H.E. Garrett. 2011.
Reducing organic pollutant loss from agroecosystems using vegetative buffers. J. Environ. Qual. 40: 791-799.
- O' Donnell, T.K, K.W. Goyne, R.J. Miles, C. Baffaut, S.H. Anderson, and K. Sudduth. 2011.
Determination of representative elementary areas for soil redoximorphic features identified by digital image processing. Geoderma. 161: 138-146.
- Wu, S.-H., K.W. Goyne, R.N. Lerch, and C.-H. Lin. 2011.
Adsorption of isoxaflutole degradates to aluminum and iron hydrous oxides. J. Environ. Qual. 40: 528-537.
- Kabrick, J., K.W. Goyne, Z. Fan, and D. Meinert. 2011.
Landscape determinants of exchangeable calcium and magnesium in forest and woodland soils of the Missouri Ozark Highlands. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 75: 164-180.
- Goyne, K.W., S.L. Brantley, J. Chorover. 2010.
Rare Earth Element Release from Phosphate Minerals in the Presence of Organic Acids. Chem. Geol.
- Lin, C.-H., K.W. Goyne, R.J. Kremer, R.N. Lerch, and H.E. Garrett. 2010.
Dissipation of sulfamethazine and tetracycline in the root zone of grass and tree species. J. Environ. Qual.
- O' Donnell, T.K., K.W. Goyne, R.J. Miles, C. Baffaut, S.H. Anderson, and K. Sudduth. 2010.
Identification and quantification of soil redoximorphic features by digital image processing. Geoderma.
- Chu, B., K.W. Goyne, S.H. Anderson, C.H. Lin, and R.P. Udawatta. 2010.
Veterinary antibiotic sorption to agroforestry buffer, grass buffer, and cropland soils. Agroforest. Syst.