Stephen H. Anderson, Ph.D.
William A. Albrecht Distinguished Professor of Soil and Environmental Sciences
Environmental Soil Physics and Hydrology
Graduate Emphasis Area Coordinator
- Phone: 573-882-6303
- E-mail: AndersonS@missouri.edu
- Address: 302 Anheuser-Busch Natural Resources Building
- Ph.D. 1985, North Carolina State University
- Soil physics, vadose zone hydrology, X-ray tomography of soil systems
Anderson's primary research interests include evaluation of soil management effects on soil hydraulic properties, development of X-ray computed tomography and microtomography techniques for assessment of pore-scale soil properties and processes, and utilizing simulation models to evaluate effectiveness of conservation practices at the watershed scale. Soil properties evaluated with X-ray tomography include macropore and mesopore size distributions and characteristics, pore continuity, and pore tortuosity--all critically important for transport of water, air and solutes in soil systems. Fractal and fuzzy logic techniques are applied to quantify pore-scale variability of biopores.
- Environmental Science/Civil Engineering 3250, Pollutant Fate and Transport
- Environmental Science/Soil Science 4305/7305, Environmental Soil Physics
- Environmental Science/Soil Science 4306/7306, Environmental Soil Physics Laboratory
- Environmental Science/Natural Resources 4320/7320, Hydrologic and Water Quality Modeling
- Biological Engineering 4350/7350/Civil Engineering 4720/7720, Watershed Modeling Using GIS
- Environmental Science/Soil Science 8400, Transport in the Vadose Zone
- Plant Science 4355/7355, Advanced Turfgrass Management
- Simmons, L.A., and S.H. Anderson. 2016. Effects of logging activities on selected soil physical and hydraulic properties for a claypan landscape. Geoderma 269:145-152.
- Udawatta, R.P., C.J. Gantzer, S.H. Anderson, and S. Assouline. 2016. Synchrotron microtomographic quantification of geometrical soil pore characteristics affected by compaction. SOIL 2:211-220. (Published by European Geosciences Union)
- Zeiger, S.J., J.A. Hubbart, S.H. Anderson, and M.C. Stambaugh. 2016. Quantifying and modeling urban stream temperature: A central US watershed study. Hydrological Processes 30:503-514.
- Anderson, S.H., D.J. Heinze, and R.L. Peyton. 2015. Assessment of selected methods for estimating chemical transport parameters from computed tomographic imaging. Computer Science 61:460-465.
- Anderson, S.H., J.L. Holmes, and R.L. Peyton. 2015. Tomography-measured spatial distributions of non-aqueous phase liquids in porous media. Computer Science 61:466-471.
- Baffaut, C., F. Ghidey, E.J. Sadler, and S.H. Anderson. 2015. Long-term agro-ecosystem research in the central Mississippi River Basin: SWAT simulation of flow and water quality in the Goodwater Creek Experimental Watershed. Journal of Environmental Quality 44:84-96.
- Sadler, E.J., R.N. Lerch, N.R. Kitchen, S.H. Anderson, C. Baffaut, K.A. Sudduth, A.A. Prato, R.J. Kremer, E.D. Vories, D.B. Myers, R. Broz, R.J. Miles, and F.J. Young. 2015. Long-term agro-ecosystem research in the Central Mississippi River Basin: Introduction, establishment, and overview. Journal of Environmental Quality 44:3-12.
- Schneider, J.G., J.B. Haguewood, E. Song, X. Pan, J.M. Rutledge, B.J. Monke, D.F. Myers, S.H. Anderson, M.R. Ellersieck, and X. Xiong. 2015. Indaziflam effect on Bermudagrass (Cynodon dactylon L. Pers.) shoot growth and root initiation as influenced by soil texture and organic matter. Crop Science 55:1-8.
- Adhikari, P., R.P. Udawatta, and S.H. Anderson. 2014. Soil thermal properties under prairies, conservation buffers and corn/soybean land use systems. Soil Science Society of America Journal 78:1977-1986.
- Anderson, S.H., D.J. Heinze, and R.L. Peyton. 2014. Computed tomography-estimated transport velocity and chemical dispersivity in undisturbed geomedia. Computer Science 36:643-648.
- Anderson, S.H.. 2014. Tomography-measured macropore parameters to estimate hydraulic properties of porous media. Computer Science 36:649-654.
- Ma, Y., X. Zheng, S.H. Anderson, J. Lu, and X. Feng. 2014. Diesel oil volatilization processes affected by selected porous media. Chemosphere 99:192-198.
- Senaviratne, G.M.M.M.A., R.P. Udawatta, S.H. Anderson, C. Baffaut, and A.L. Thompson. 2014. Use of fuzzy rainfall-runoff predictions for claypan watersheds with conservation buffers in Northeast Missouri. Journal of Hydrology 517:1008-1018.
- Senaviratne, G.M.M.M.A., R.P. Udawatta, C. Baffaut, and S.H. Anderson. 2014. Evaluation of a stepwise, multiobjective, multivariable parameter optimization method for the APEX model. Journal of Environmental Quality 43:1381-1391.
- Anderson, S.H., and J.W. Hopmans. 2013. Soil-water-root processes: Advances in tomography and imaging. 304 pp. Soil Science Society of America Special Publication 61, Madison, Wisconsin.
- Anderson, S.H., H.J. Shieh, and R.L. Peyton. 2013. Chemical transport in undisturbed soils estimated using transfer function models. Computer Science 20:189-194.
- Chu, B., K.W. Goyne, S.H. Anderson, C.H. Lin, and R.N. Lerch. 2013. Sulfamethazine sorption to soil: Vegetative management, pH, and dissolved organic matter effects. Journal of Environmental Quality 42:794-805.
- Chu, B., S.H. Anderson, K.W. Goyne, C.H. Lin, and R.N. Lerch. 2013. Sulfamethazine transport in agroforestry and cropland soils. Vadose Zone Journal 12(2):1-14.
- Follis, C.C., S.H. Anderson, E.H. Ervin, and B.S. Fresenburg. 2013. Assessment of rootzone mixes with inorganic and organic amendments for athletic fields. International Turfgrass Society Research Journal 12:633-639.
- Senaviratne, G.M.M.M.A., R.P. Udawatta, C. Baffaut, and S.H. Anderson. 2013. Agricultural Policy Environmental eXtender simulation of three adjacent row-crop watersheds in the claypan region. Journal of Environmental Quality 42: 726-736.
- Anderson, S.H., B. Haeffner, and R.L. Peyton. 2012. Influence of scale on chemical dispersivity in geomedia. Computer Science 12:242-247.
- Kumar, S., S.H. Anderson, R.P. Udawatta, and R.L. Kallenbach. 2012. Water infiltration influenced by agroforestry and grass buffers for a grazed pasture system. Agroforestry Systems 84:325-335.
- Mudgal, A., C. Baffaut, S.H. Anderson, E.J. Sadler, N.R. Kitchen, K.A. Sudduth, and R.N. Lerch. 2012. Using APEX to develop and validate physically-based indices for the delineation of critical management areas. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 67:284-299.
- Paudel, B.R., R.P. Udawatta, R.J. Kremer, and S.H. Anderson. 2012. Soil quality indicator responses to row crop, grazed pasture, and agroforestry buffer management. Agroforestry Systems 84:311-323.
- Udawatta, R.P., C.J. Gantzer, S.H. Anderson, A.M. Rossi, R.C. Graham, and R.A. Ketcham. 2012. Analysis of three-dimensional geometrical pore parameters from rock weathering. Soil Science 177:506-516.
- Anderson, S.H. 2011. Claypan and its environmental effects. p. 122-125. In Jan Glinski, Jуzef Horabik, Jerzy Lipiec (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Agrophysics, Springer.
- Anderson, S.H., and X. Liu. 2011. Pollutant transport in geomedia using X-ray computed tomography. Computer Science 6:481-486.
- Kumar, S., R.P. Udawatta, S.H. Anderson, and A. Mudgal. 2011. APEX model simulation of runoff and sediment losses for grazed pasture watersheds with agroforestry buffers. Agroforestry Systems 83:51-62.
- Lee, S.S., C.J. Gantzer, A.L. Thompson, and S.H. Anderson. 2011. Polyacrylamide efficacy for reducing soil erosion and runoff as influenced by slope. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 66:172-177.
- O’Donnell, T.K., K.W. Goyne, R.J. Miles, C. Baffaut, S.H. Anderson, and K.A. Sudduth. 2011. Determination of representative elementary areas for soil redoximorphic features identified by digital image processing. Geoderma 161:138-146.
- Paudel, B.R., R.P. Udawatta, and S.H. Anderson. 2011. Agroforestry and grass buffer effects on soil quality parameters for grazed pasture and row-crop systems. Applied Soil Ecology 48:125-132.
- Udawatta, R.P., S.H. Anderson, P.P. Motavalli, and H.E. Garrett. 2011. Calibration of a water content reflectometer and soil water dynamics for an agroforestry practice. Agroforestry Systems 82:61-75.
- Chu, B., K.W. Goyne, S.H. Anderson, C.H. Lin, and R.P. Udawatta. 2010. Veterinary antibiotic sorption to agroforestry buffer, grass buffer and cropland soils. Agroforestry Systems 79:67-80.
- Kim, H.M., S.H. Anderson, P.P. Motavalli, and C.J. Gantzer. 2010. Compaction effects on soil macropore geometry and related parameters for an arable field. Geoderma 160:244-251.
- Kumar, S., R.P. Udawatta, and S.H. Anderson. 2010. Root length density and carbon content of agroforestry and grass buffers under grazed pasture systems in a Hapludalf. Agroforestry Systems 80:85-96.
- Kumar, S., S.H. Anderson, and R.P. Udawatta. 2010. Agroforestry and grass buffer influences on macropores measured by computed tomography under grazed pasture systems. Soil Science Society of America Journal 74:203-212.
- Lee, S.S., C.J. Gantzer, A.L. Thompson, and S.H. Anderson. 2010. Polyacrylamide and gypsum amendments for erosion and runoff control on two soil series. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 65:233-242.
- Mudgal, A., S.H. Anderson, C. Baffaut, N.R. Kitchen, K.A. Sudduth, and E.J. Sadler. 2010. Effects of long-term soil and crop management on soil hydraulic properties for claypan soils. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 65:393-403.
- Mudgal, A., C. Baffaut, S.H. Anderson, E.J. Sadler, and A.L. Thompson. 2010. APEX model assessment of variable landscapes on runoff and dissolved herbicides. Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers 53:1047-1058.
- O’Donnell, T.K., K.W. Goyne, R.J. Miles, C. Baffaut, S.H. Anderson, and K.A. Sudduth. 2010. Identification and quantification of soil redoximorphic features by digital image processing. Geoderma 157:86-96.