Larry D. Vangilder, Ph.D.
Fisheries and Wildlife
- Phone: 573-882-2187
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Address: 302 Anheuser-Busch Natural Resources Building
- Ph.D., 1981, Ohio State University, Zoology
- Population ecology
- Forest ecology
- Vangilder has extensively studied the population ecology of wild turkeys in Missouri and Kentucky through 3 long-term telemetry studies in north Missouri, the Missouri Ozarks, and west Kentucky. He was also one of the founders of the Missouri Ozark Forest Ecosystem Project (MOFEP), a > 100 yr landscape-scale experimental evaluation of the effects of forest management on the flora and fauna of upland oak forests in the Missouri Ozarks.
Ongoing research will focus on integration of existing MOFEP datasets to provide better information for decisions by forest researchers, managers and policymakers.
- Resource Science Center Chief, Missouri Department of Conservation, January 2003-December 2009
- Wildlife Research Supervisor, Missouri Department of Conservation, January 1999-December 2002
- Wildlife Research Biologist (wild turkeys, forest ecology), Missouri Department of Conservation, August 1985-December 1998
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Cornell University, December 1983 - July 1985
- Research Associate, Savannah River Ecology Laboratory, 1983
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Savannah River Ecology Laboratory, 1981-1982
- Gwaze, D., S. Sheriff, J. Kabrick, and L. Vangilder. 2009.
Integrating studies in the Missouri Ozark Forest Ecosystem Project: Status and outlook. (in prep)
- Sheriff, S. L., D. Sun, C. He, and L. D. Vangilder. 2009.
Estimating hunter success rates using Bayesian small area estimation methods. (in revision)
- Wright, G. W. and L. D. Vangilder. 2006.
Survival and dispersal of eastern wild turkey males in western Kentucky. Proc. National Wild Turkey Symposium 9: 367-373.
- Hubbard, M. W. and L. D. Vangilder. 2006.
Survival of eastern wild turkey males in the eastern Missouri Ozarks. Proc. National Wild Turkey Symposium 9: 361-366.
- Wright, G. W. and L. D. Vangilder. 2001.
Survival of eastern wild turkey males in western Kentucky. Proc. National Wild Turkey Symposium 8: 187-194.
- Vangilder, L. D., M. W. Hubbard, and David A. Hasenbeck. 2001.
Reproductive ecology of eastern wild turkey females in the eastern Missouri Ozarks. Proc. National Wild Turkey Symposium 8: 53-59.
- Beringer, J., S. G. Seibert, S. Reagan, A. J. Brody, M. R. Pelton, and L. D. Vangilder. 1998.
The influence of a small sanctuary on survival rates of black bears in North Carolina. J. Wildl. Manage. 62: 727-734.
- Vangilder, L. D. 1997.
Acorn production on the MOFEP study sites: Pre-treatment data. pp 200-211 in B. L. Brookshire and S. R. Shifley eds. Proc. of the Missouri Forest Ecosystem Project symposium: an experimental approach to landscape research, June 3-5, 1997, St, Louis, Mo. Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-193. U. S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Experiment Station.
- Schroeder, R. L. and L. D. Vangilder. 1997.
Tests of wildlife habitat models to evaluate oak-mast production. Wildl. Soc. Bull. 25: 639-646.
- Vangilder, L. D. 1996.
Survival and cause-specific mortality of wild turkeys in the Missouri Ozarks. Proc. National Wild Turkey Symp. 7: 21-31.