Meet the Forestry Faculty
Hong S. He, Ph.D.
Co-Director of MU GIS Certificate Program
Director of GIS and Spatial Analysis Laboratory
Director of Graduate Studies
- Phone: 573-882-7717
- E-mail: HeH@missouri.edu
- Address: 203 Anheuser-Busch Natural Resources Building
- Ph.D., Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Landscape ecology, geographic information system and ecological modeling.
His research interest is to study landscape response to various natural and social factors over large spatial and temporal domains by linking spatial models with geographic information systems. Projects with both theoretical significance and application potential are among his research priorities. He's research equally emphasizes advances in landscape ecology such as theories of spatial modeling and landscape metrics, and geographic information science such as GIS and remote sensing data integration, GIS interpolation, visualization, and analytical approaches. He has been working with colleagues in developing a spatially explicit forest landscape model (LANDIS) linked with GIS. LANDIS is adapted and used by more than 30 individual groups of research institutions, government agencies, and private industry in the U.S.A., Canada, Finland, Scotland, Switzerland, China and India. More recently, proposals in which the LANDIS model serves as a major simulation tool have been funded by National Science Foundation, USDA and other U.S. and European funding agencies. He's research interests also include pre-European landscape and forest visualization at multiple scales.
The most recent version of LANDIS (version 7.0) is developed in the SNR GIS and Spatial Analysis Laboratory.
Issues of biodiversity, conservation and ecosystem management increasingly need to be addressed at large spatial and temporal scales. He's research in landscape ecology puts ecological questions in such large spatial and temporal contexts. His research in geographic information sciences explores new technical advances to help process and analyze large spatial data. The science and technology He endeavors to advance will help to solve regional planning, management, conservation and restoration problems.
- Wang W. J., He, H. S., Fraser, J. S., Thompson III, F. R., Shifley, S. R., and Spetich, M. A. 2014. LANDIS PRO: a landscape model that predicts forest composition and structure changes at regional scales. Ecography 37: 001-005. Doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0587.2013.00495.x. Download PDF.
- Hanberry, B. B., J.M. Kabrick, and H. S. He. 2014. Densification and state transition across the Missouri Ozarks landscape. Ecosystems 17: 66-81. Download PDF.
- Wang, W. J., H. S. He, M. A. Spetich, S. R. Shifley, F. R. Thompson III, D. R. Larsen, J. S. Fraser, and J. Yang. 2013. A large-scale forest landscape model incorporating multi-scale processes and utilizing forest inventory data. Ecosphere 4(9):106. doi:10.1890/ES13-00040.1Download PDF.
- Liu, Z., J. Yang, Y. Chang, P.J. Weisberg and H.S. He. 2012. Spatial patterns of fire occurrence and its future trend under climate change in a boreal forest of Northeast China. Global Change Biology 18, pp. 2041 - 2056. Download PDF
- He, H.S., Yang, J., Shifley, S.R., Thompson, F.R. 2011. Challenges of forest landscape modeling-Simulating large landscapes and validating results. Landscape and Urban Planning 100 (4), pp. 400-402. Download PDF.
- He, H. S. 2008. Forest landscape models, definition, characterization, and classification. Forest Ecology and Management 254:484-498. PDF Download
- Yang, J. He, H. S., Shifley, S. R. 2008. Spatial controls of occurrence and spread of wildfires in the Missouri Ozark Highlands. Ecological Applications 18(5): 1212-1225. ownload PDF.
- He, H. S., Hao, Z., Mladenoff, D. J., Shao, G., Hu, Y., Chang, Y. 2005. Simulating Forest Ecosystem Response to Climate Warming Incorporating Spatial Effects in Northeastern China. Journal of Biogeography. 32: 2043-2056. PDF Download
- He, H. S., Mladenoff, D. J., Sickley, T., Gutensburgen, G. 2000. GIS interpolation of witness tree records (1839-1866) of northern Wisconsin. Journal of Biogeography 27: 1031-1042. PDF Download
- He, H. S., DeZonia, B., Mladenoff, D. J. 2000. An aggregation index to quantify spatial patterns of landscapes. Landscape Ecology 15: 590-602. PDF Download
- He, H. S., and D. J. Mladenoff. 1999. Spatially explicit and stochastic simulation of forest landscape fire disturbance and succession. Ecology 80: 81-99. PDF Download
- He, H. S., Mladenoff, D. J., Radeloff, V. C., Crow, T. R. 1998. Integration of GIS data and classified satellite imagery for regional forest assessment. Ecological Applications 8: 1072-1083. PDF Download