Meet the Forestry Faculty
Michael A. Gold, Ph.D.
Center for Agroforestry
- Phone: 573-884-1448
- E-mail: GoldM@missouri.edu
- Address: 203 Anheuser-Busch Natural Resources Building
- Ph.D. 1984, Michigan State University
- Specialty crop research to enhance market development of agroforestry products; Chestnut orchard production and market research directed to development of chestnut (mainly Chinese cultivars - Castanea mollissima) as a viable horticultural crop for Missouri/Midwest producers; Elderberry market and consumer research.
- Jose, S., M.A. Gold and H.E. Garrett. 2012.
The Future of Temperate Agroforestry in the United States. In: Garrity, D.P. and P.K.R. Nair (eds). Agroforestry – The Way Forward. Advances in Agroforestry Book Series, Springer Science.
- Jose, S. and Gold, M.A. 2012.
Agroforestry. In Rowe, D. (Ed.) Achieving Sustainability: Visions, Principles, and Practices. Macmillan Reference, MI, USA.
- Cernusca, M.M., L.D. Godsey and M.A. Gold. 2012.
Using the Porter Model to Analyze the U.S. Elderberry Industry. Agroforestry Systems (DOI) 10.1007/s10457-012-9546-0
- Gold, M.A. and S. Jose. 2012.
An Interdisciplinary Online Certificate and Master’s Degree Program in Agroforestry. Agroforestry Systems DOI: 10.1007/s10457-012-9522-8
- Valdivia, C., C. Barbieri and M.A. Gold. 2012.
Between Forestry and Farming: Policy and Environmental Implications of the Barriers to Agroforestry Adoption. Canadian Journal of Ag. Economics 60(2):155-175.
- Byers, PL., AL Thomas, MM Cernusca, MA Gold and LD Godsey. 2012.
Growing and Marketing Elderberries in Missouri. UMCA Agroforestry in Action Guide AF 1016-2012. 12 p.
- Hunt, K., M. Gold, W. Reid and M. Warmund. 2012.
Growing Chinese Chestnut in Missouri (revised). UMCA Agroforestry in Action Guide AF1007-2012. 16 p.
- Cernusca, M.M., F.X. Aguilar and M.A. Gold. 2011.
Post-purchase Evaluation of U.S. Consumers’ Preferences for Chestnuts. Agroforestry Systems DOI 10.1007/s10457-011-9462-8
- Aguilar F.X., M.M. Cernusca, M.A. Gold and C. Barbieri. 2010.
Frequency of consumption, familiarity and preferences for chestnuts in Missouri. Agroforestry Systems 79:19-29.
- Aguilar, F.X., M.M. Cernusca, and M.A. Gold. 2009.
A preliminary assessment of consumer preferences for chestnuts (Castanea spp.) using conjoint analysis. HortTechnology 19(1): 216-223.
- Cernusca, M.M., M.A. Gold and L.D. Godsey. 2008.
Influencing consumer awareness through the Missouri chestnut roast. Journal of Extension 46(6). Published online. 8 p. www.joe.org/joe/2008december/rb7p.shtml
- Gold, M.A., M.M. Cernusca and L.D. Godsey. 2008.
A competitive market analysis of the U.S. shiitake mushroom marketplace. HortTechnology 18(3): 489-499.
- Gold, M.A., M.M. Cernusca and L.D. Godsey. 2006.
Competitive Market Analysis: Chestnut Producers. HortTechnology 16(2): 360-369.
- Gold, M.A., L.D. Godsey and M.M. Cernusca. 2005.
Competitive market analysis of Eastern red cedar. Forest Products Journal 55(12): 58-65.
- Gold, M.A., M.M. Cernusca and L.D. Godsey. 2005.
Update on Consumers' Preferences for Chestnuts. HortTechnology 15(4):904-906.
- Kabrick, J.M., D.C. Dey, J.W. Van Sambeek, M. Wallendorf, and M.A. Gold. 2005.
Soil properties and growth of swamp white oak and pin oak on bedded soils in the lower Missouri River floodplain. Forest Ecology and Management 204:315-327.
- Gold, M.A., M.M. Cernusca and L.D. Godsey. 2004.
Comparing consumer preferences for chestnuts with eastern black walnuts and pecans. HortTechnology 14(4):583-589.
- Gold, M.A., L.D. Godsey and S.J. Josiah. 2004.
Markets and Marketing Strategy for Agroforestry Specialty Products in North America. Agroforestry Systems 61:371-382.
- Grossman, B.C., M.A. Gold and D.C. Dey. 2003.
Floodplain restoration of hard mast species for wildlife in Missouri: precocious flowering in Quercus. Agroforestry Systems 59:3-10.