A Brief History
The School of Natural Resources (SNR) is Missouri's and the Midwest's only school with a comprehensive natural resources program. It is a division of the MU College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources.
SNR encompasses atmospheric science, environmental science, fisheries, forestry, parks, recreation, soils, tourism and wildlife. The dates programs were established and the buildings they were orginally housed in are listed below.
- The Department of Forestry was established at MU in 1947 and was elevated to the status of School of Forestry in 1957. (Agriculture Building)
- The fisheries and wildlife program, which was established in 1937 in the College of Arts and Sciences, became part of the school in 1973. (Stephens Hall)
- A Department of Soils was formed at MU in 1914. (Mumford Hall)
- A Department of Atmospheric Science was formed in 1967. (Gentry Hall)
- The Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism was added in 1988. (Clark Hall)
SNR was formed through a name change in 1989. Faculties in soil science and atmospheric science joined SNR in 1990 and 1991, respectively, and were merged into the Department of Soil and Atmospheric Sciences in 1992. This name was changed to the Department of Soil, Environmental and Atmospheric Sciences in 2003.
The Anheuser-Busch Natural Resources Building was dedicated in September 1998. The building is a 99,000 square foot facility on the MU campus, devoted exclusively to addressing natural resource issues in Missouri, the nation and the world. Containing laboratories equipped with the latest technology for research in natural resource fields and computer-equipped teaching laboratories, the building is a state-of-the-art education facility.